[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] 2.6 kernel support anytime soon? Workarounds?

Alf Wachsmann alfw@slac.stanford.edu
Sun, 9 May 2004 14:32:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> > > i believe the setgroup hooking issues can be handled with the
> > > new security mechanism in 2.6.  would i be a terrible burden
> > > to require people to use CONFIG_SECURITY if they want pag support?
>
> Does it default to on or off?
>
> What are RedHat, SuSe, Mandrake doing?

SLAC is paying Red Hat money for support and we have started lobbying
for this feature about two weeks ago by officially filing a feature
request.

Our Technical Account Manager (TAM) told us that this feature is currently
enabled in Fedora Core 2 _and_ RHEL4-beta but that they don't have any
strong feelings about it either way. This means that they will remove the
feature if they encounter problems with it.

Our TAM also told us that the more customers file a feature request
the higher its importance rises for Rad Hat.

So, if you are paying for support, please file an official feature
request for CONFIG_SECURITY with Red Hat!

In case someone needs or wants to refer to our issue tracker number,
it is "Issue #38216 ([RHEL4] enable CONFIG_SECURITY kernel option
to support OpenAFS)[SLAC]"

-- Alf.

  Alf Wachsmann                       | e-mail: alfw@slac.stanford.edu
  SLAC Computing Service              | Phone:  +1-650-926-4802
  2575 Sand Hill Road, M/S 97         | FAX:    +1-650-926-3329
  Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA           | Office: Bldg. 50/323
                http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~alfw (PGP)