[OpenAFS] NOCM Error on 20040508

Jason C. Wells jcw@highperformance.net
Mon, 10 May 2004 17:36:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> There are several reasons for NOCM errors occuring when attempting to
> obtain tokens from within afscreds.exe:
>
>     * afsd_service.exe is not running

A look at the task manager shows that the service is running.

>     * the RPC services are not functioning

I wouldn't know how to check.

>     * afsd_service.exe has crashed during an RPC operation and upon
>       restart does not successfully register the RPC service

I wouldn't know how to tell.

I have reinstalled 20040508.

I get this error message on log in:  "KTC_NOCM: The service, Transarc
AFS Daemon, most likely not started! (0xb50307) (ktc{GetToken() failed)".
This is when I log in using the MIT KDC.

If I log in using Local Workstation, I can get a token by running kinit -5
-f and aklog -5.  In fact, I do this immediately after the MIT KDC login
attempt (without a reboot) which would tell me that afsd is working
correctly and that there is something specifically amiss with an MIT
login.

> You also described a different problem with drive mappings created when
> there are two different Logon methods used for Windows.  When using
> local authentication you had no problems.  When using Kerberos
> authentication you could not create drive mappings to the AFS Client
> Service.
>
> Which of these problems are you experiencing?

I have no problems with drive mapping now, when I can get a token.  It has
been a while so I am having trouble recalling which problem happened when.

Looking in the archives, this is the discussion that seems most fitting to
the current situation:

https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2004-January/011740.html
https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2004-January/011738.html

With respect to using an MIT KDC, 1.3.6300 works for me and 20040508 does
not.  When 1.3.6300 came out I was thrilled because everything was working
as I had expected, except the drive selection drop down menu.

Just for giggles, I reverted to 1.3.6300 and verified that using an MIT
KDC works.  It does.

Questions?

Later,
Jason C. Wells