[OpenAFS] Openafs with a windows kerberos server

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Tue, 11 May 2004 15:38:59 +0200

On Tuesday, May 11, 2004, at 03:21  PM, Davis, Adam wrote:

> [...]

That was exactly my point. If you have some mixed environment the
second solution with samba as "token generating machine" doesn't make
sense.
Since you have some UNIX servers as well stick with the much cleaner
Kerberos solution.

> The windows guys say they have a Kerberos 5 server "Kerberos V5 KDC"
> and
> I have successfully set up some Linux machines to use it for Kerberos
> authentication. I already have some samba servers as well configured in
> the windows domain using it.

There are some howtos on the web on how to get Kerberos tickets from
the Windows KDC and the generate AFS Tokens out of them. I don't really
remember the page but google would help.

> I am not sure how I would go about getting AFS to use this !! How would
> I get it to handout afs tokens? What would you recommend. I am new to
> AFS and not sure what would be required to make this work.

I would recommend using the existing KDCs with AFS as well as AD and
all that "neat stuff" which is already there. :-))
It just gets complicated if you're trying to grant your users access to
data from AFS without wanting them to install AFS Clients on their
machines.
If I'm getting you right you didn't want that.

Horst