[OpenAFS] Mapping read/write correctly on WinXP with OpenAFS 1.3.63 client

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Wed, 12 May 2004 16:59:41 -0400

Basically I'm trying to get read-write access to a volume that has a
read-only replication.  As I understand the procedure, accessing the
cell using a . before the name should make AFS choose the read-write
volumes whenever this type of situation occurs.  Thus, \afs\msu.edu\
would be read-only and \afs\.msu.edu\ would be read-write.

Running WinXP and OpenAFS client version 1.2.10, I am able to obtain a
token and successfully map a drive to \afs\.msu.edu\ and edit my files
normally.  However, on a machine with OpenAFS client version 1.3.63, I
can can obtain a token and map \afs\msu.edu\ but not \afs\.msu.edu\ ,
thus I'm unable to make any changes to the filesystem in the directories
that are on replicated volumes.

The tail-end of afsd_init.log shows this (on the machine that isn't
working):

5/12/2004 4:34:16 PM: in cm_GetCell_gen cm_SearchCellFile(.msu.edu)
returns code= -3 fullname=

afsd.log also shows a panic.  I can't tell when exactly this is
happening, but it looks potentially relevant:

time 30.104920, pid 200 **PANIC** (file smb.c:6407)

Any thoughts on how I can get read-write access back?

-ED