[OpenAFS] Max number of files in volume?

Mike Burns burns@psu.edu
Thu, 13 May 2004 08:10:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Hamie wrote:

> >I don't know anything about JFS, but is it possible that the partition
> >is out of inodes?
> >

> unfortunately (?) not..
>
> /dev/vicepa      15597568   1302472   92%      270     1% /vicepa
> /dev/vicepb      15597568  15066904    4%      587     1% /vicepb
>
> Only 1% inodes used...

AFS on AIX however reserves 8% of disk space for inodes, so you need to
restart the fileserver process and use the -m option to specify a different
percentage of space to reserve for inodes.  The fileserver man page has a
blurb about it.  We ran into this ourselves and set it to 4% and didn't have
a problem.  We could have set it even lower.

- Mike

Mike Burns                                     Emerging Technologies Group
burns@psu.edu                  Academic Services and Emerging Technologies
+1 814 863 5606                          The Pennsylvania State University