Practical no. of files per dir was: [OpenAFS] Max number of files in volume?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 13 May 2004 23:22:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> Hamie wrote:
> >
> > is there an artificial limit on the number of files in a volume? or the
>
> Now that this is solved.  I have a question about practical no. of file
> limits.
>
> I'm interested in running a MailDir based mail server over AFS.  That
> formats each message into a separate file, and each filename is about
> 30-50 chars.  I have done tests with 100,000 messages in one folder with
> Linux 2.6 and ext3.
>
> Anyone know if I'll hit any limits (eg, are the AFS directories searched
> linearly, or is there an index?)

There's a per-directory limit. Todd DeSantis explained the math, you'll
have to search the archives to find the message. Basically, it's not a
fixed number, it depends how large the filenames are.