[OpenAFS] MailDir & Coda/AFS was: Practical no. of files per dir was: [OpenAFS] Max number of files in volume?

Leif Johansson leifj@it.su.se
Mon, 17 May 2004 23:14:56 +0200

> Benjamin P Myers wrote:
>
>> I've been looking into postfix over afs, but since it uses hard links
>> for maildir inboxes it won't work.  what are you using?

The hardlinks in the maildir delivery protocol are only used to make
rename atomic which it isn't on most network filesystems (at least not
on NFS). The answer is that you simply replace your 'link+unlink' calls
with a rename, which is atomic in AFS.

We (Stockholm university) happily accept spam for ~25k users into
Maildir using maildrop (part of courier http://www.courier-mta.org)
with our own set of patches. We have three Dell 1750's (and lots of
fileservers) but are acually able to run on only one. These boxes
also run imap and pop.

	MVH leifj