[OpenAFS] Mapping read/write correctly on WinXP with OpenAFS 1.3.63 client

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Wed, 19 May 2004 10:31:07 -0400

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 14:22, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Freelance mode is a better choice for most users with laptops or home
> systems which do not always have connectivity to the home cell.  The
> AFS Client Service will not successfully start an in fact will
> terminate in a panic if the home cell cannot be reached.  However, it
> does have limitations.  At the moment it does not support the
> read/write volume via the .cellname convention.
>
> This is now on my list of things to change.
>
> Jeffrey Altman

Yeah, I took that system off the network and was getting quite a bit of
fuss from OpenAFS just after startup.  At one point is was popping up
error boxes about every 15 seconds as it tried to start up, failed, and
then retried over and over.  It took a while to figure out how to shut
OpenAFS off to regain control over my computer, I think maybe I ended up
killing off processes or something like that.

-ED

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Academic Computing and Network Services