[OpenAFS] Read-write cell root not working on Windows XP

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Fri, 28 May 2004 15:43:44 -0400

At 02:50 PM 5/28/2004, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>You have no need to further the discussion of issues for which there is
>consensus.
>All that happens when you complain about things which are known not to work
>or which do work as I intend but for which there is no good documentation is
>force me to have to respond to the e-mail.

And who started this thread?  Not me.  You "are" already having to respond
to email.  In fact, a number of emails have been sent to this list asking
about these issues.

>Freelance mode and Encryption work for most users.  They do not work for you.
>This is a known problem and they are being addressed.  I can only do what
>I can
>do with the time available to me.

I guess I'm a little rough around the edges because this sort of thing
doesn't seem to happen in the Unix/Linux client.  Is the 'nix client
encryption "on" by default?  How about freelance (dyn-root)?  Yes, you've
explained about going into the registry by hand and tweaking the
NetbiosName setting.  I understand that perfectly.  But are you going to
explain that to every new user who asks about this problem?

I don't think I (as an AFS user) was included in the "consensus".  It feels
like what Microsoft does...choose first, then deal with user questions
later.  Stability means not only stable in operation, but stable in default
settings and expectations of use.  In this manner the new client hasn't
been stable.

I'm on my soapbox now...I will quietly leave the room.  Thanks for listening.

Rodney (arrogant fool)