[OpenAFS] Read-write cell root not working on Windows XP

Matt Cocker matt@cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun, 30 May 2004 10:49:15 +1200

> It would be nice to have the installer
> install the loopback if it isn't found.

It would be nice for individual machine installs but this would not work
with sysprep sealed machines which is all 1100 of our lab PCs. Making a
good loopback installer msi available (i.e. an improved version -see BTW
below- of http://www.eos.ncsu.edu/wolfcall/loopback/) and suggesting it
is required like KFW would probably be easier.

BTW does "Client for Microsoft Networks" have to be enabled on loopback
adaptor or just "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP". Also does the ordering of
the interfaces in the "Adaptors and Bindings" really matter (I think it
does but not sure).

In the end I think that improved documentation is the answer to the
present 1.3 windows client user issues (an maybe a couple of
improvements to install options). Wouldn't the afs wiki (which we can
help with) be an easy place for the AFS windows user community to start
helping out the developers who I would rather spent their time fixing
the client (which I can't do).

Cheers

Matthew Cocker