[OpenAFS] winclient - mounts unavailable

jonesb@csail.mit.edu jonesb@csail.mit.edu
Mon, 31 May 2004 15:13:58 -0400

occasionally i'll find myself in a state where
the afs client service is running, i have tokens,
but am unable to remount my network drives.  i'll
get an error that states the device is already
in use.  i'm using 1.3.64 on winxp with the ms
loopback adapter installed.  i can try
to give more information if needed and try to
replicate the problem.

i'm afraid i don't use windows enough to know which
tools i can use to troubleshoot, but `net use` gives
the following output (both with the service started
and with it stopped):

Reconnecting K:  \\host-afs\afsroot  ms windows network
Disconnected M:  \\host-afs\jonesb   ms windows network
Reconnecting     \\host-afs\afsroot  ms windows network
Disconnected     \\host-afs\all      ms windows network
Disconnected     \\host-afs\jonesb   ms windows network

usually i reboot and everything works, but i'm concerned
the people we support getting into this situation.  is
this a common problem?  this, or something like it, seems
often to happen when the afs client service dies
for some reason. and like i said, rebooting will
fix things, but i'd like to know more about why it's
happening.  thanks,
-b