Windows Power Management was Re: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.3.73

James Burns James Burns <jfburns@gmail.com>
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 20:40:56 -0500

Jeffrey,
Just to clarify, I was being purposefully vague because I was looking
for general information on bug reporting rather than actually trying
to report one. I did figure out some more information on this
so-called hanging, but I'm not sure if it's an AFS bug or a Microsoft
one. I found out that my cell (1.2.11 on Linux) was in some sort of
hung state. Attempts to access it via the Linux client returned
immediate connection timeout errors. In Windows however, attempting to
access the cell hung Explorer, apparently indefinitely. Sometimes
bringing up a My Computer view would hang it, sometimes trying to open
a mapped drive would as well. In one instance stopping the service and
restarting it worked (this was before I understood the issue though,
so I'm not as sure of the details). I didn't know the command line to
do the restart so I ended up killing Explorer a few times before I
realized that I needed to restart my cell (it's a "home" one server
cell). I'll see if I can get my cell hung again (it seems to be
happening when I move large files around) and perhaps send you
connection information so you can see if it happens to you. The
hanging was happening when I was accessing it over the Internet as
well as locally so there's a fair chance you'll see it. I'll send a
bug report after another iteration of trying to get more information.

-James