[OpenAFS] File server, bos salvage hang

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:33:05 -0800

Miles Davis <miles@CS.Stanford.EDU> writes:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 08:40:35PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Do all vos commands start failing on that file server?  If so, you may
>> have run into the same problem that we just ran into with the campus
>> AFS servers.  We needed to upgrade all of them with a patch to the vos
>> server.

> Yup, all vos commands are useless after it starts. Any idea what
> triggers it, or how to prevent it? Or is it just random luck that few
> have seen it sofar?

I'm mystified here; it just all of a sudden started happening to us
without any changes that I'm aware of.  But that one-liner completely
fixed it.

It's possible that the bos salvage is actually unrelated; your vlserver
may have already hung and it just happened that the first command that you
ran on it after it hung so that you noticed was a bos salvage.