[OpenAFS] Move a IP from CellServer?

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:55:20 +0100

On Nov 11, 2004, at 12:10 PM, Lars Schimmer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Yeah, me again. I like to thank you all first, to built up a AFS Cell
> is not as
> easy as it seems.
>
> Is it possible (in a easy way), to change a IP from the first (main)
> CellServer?
> Background:
> We set up first a test Server for our cell with a high IP (>.200). But
> after it
> works, this server got our main server for database and files in our
> cell.
> After a while I set up another database server with a lower ip (<.100)
> as a
> backup for the database server.

That's perfectly normal and it doesn't hurt ... :-)
This server's getting sync site and as long as everything's working you
won't notice who's who.
That's how ubik should be working.

> But I think THIS was a big error, because now most of the clients take
> the
> information from the backup server (in which the cell is RO) and not
> from the
> first one. So we can't mount any new volumes in our cell, because it's
> readonly :-(

That isn't something wrong. When you have replicas and you didn't mount
root.cell read/write (what you shouldn't) that's normal behavior.
Just make another mountpoint somewhere else with the root.cell mounted
RW make your changes and release the volume. That's how you do
replication.

> Point 2: We thought the 2nd server to takeover the management if the
> first gone
> down. But while a reboot of the first (main) server, our cell hung and
> no client
> worked well. Is this a kind of wrong thinking of us? Or a failure of
> OpenAFS

If you have just two of 'em that's also pretty much normal behavior. If
you reboot the sync site you'll have some "out" time (timeouts) until
the client notices that the server isn't there. It should actually work
afterwards.
If you reboot the server with your root.afs and/or your root.cell
that's also normal.

Or maybe you just lost quorum. Can you create and move volumes during
the out time??

I don't see any AFS fault in what you were describing.

Horst