[OpenAFS] Re: "unable to authenticate to AFS" error- linux distribution specific?

Joseph Kiniry kiniry@acm.org
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:18:44 +0000

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:33:16 -0500 (EST) Derrick J Brashear wrote:

 > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Thomas Bertram wrote:
 >
 > > Under SuSE 9.1 (2.6 Kernel) I encountered the same problem.
However, on two
 > > installations with SuSE 9.0 with an own compiled 2.6.7 kernel and a
compiled
 > > AFS 1.3.71 client,  klog is working properly -- also with the same
old
 > > server.
 >
 > Someone claimed compiling the entire kauth directory without
optimization
 > "fixed" the problem. Ideally someone would figure out which file, or
 > better yet which function, needs to be compiled this way, so the
problem
 > could be fixed for real. no one has.

In setting up my new cell here at UCD (my old cell is at the University
of Nijmegen), I have attempted a build of OpenAFS 1.3.74 on a clean
Fedora Core 3 install (fully updated) and I experienced this problem as
well.  Additional system information: kernel is stock "Linux secure"
2.6.9-1.667, gcc (GCC) 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3),
glibc-2.3.3-74, and SELinux is running in the default targeted policy
mode.

I've setup the initial server and everything seems to be kosher except
I cannot authenticate.  Seeing the earlier post about turning off
optimization, I attempted to replicate their reported success.  I
initially tried to only recompile klog and its dependencies with -O0,
but that resulted in a klog that would segfault.  Thinking I wasn't
aggressive enough, I recompiled the whole of OpenAFS with -O0.  That
build performs exactly as the -O2 version (everything works but klog).
Thus, I suspect there is something more subtle going on than just an
optimizer issue.

Any suggestions would be welcome.  I'm a very experienced AFS guy (I'm
an old OFS employee) and developer, so I'm happy to hack to help.

Thanks,
Joe
---
Joseph R. Kiniry                                ID 78860581      ICQ
4344804
University College Dublin / National University of Ireland, Dublin
KindSoftware, LLC
http://www.kindsoftware.com/
Board Chair: NICE
http://www.eiffel-nice.org/