[OpenAFS] Re: "unable to authenticate to AFS" error- linux distribution, specific?

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:42:31 -0600

Thomas Bertram wrote:
> Christof Hanke wrote:
>
>> I've debugged my broken klog (SLES9 on openafs-1.3.74)  using -O2 and
>> found out that in authclient.c:ka_Authenticate() the char *label gets
>> corrupted, when KAA_AuthenticateV2 is called (as Derrick pointed out
>> earlier).
>> I have no fix for that, but I found out when you declare the char
>> *label as static, the klog works (at least for me).
>> in src/kauth :
>> diff authclient.c authclient_new.c
>> 526c526
>> <     char *ans_label;
>> ---
>> >     static char *ans_label;
>>
>> What this means in detail, I do not know, but I guess it prevents some
>> overoptimization.

It could also mean that the stack was being overlayed, and moving this
variabe to static means something else on the stack is being overlayed.

Two other things to try:

  Compile without optimizatrion.

  Use the debugger s to set a watch point on the ans_label before calling
  the ka_Authenticate. Hopefully the debugger will catch the location where
  it ws being modified.