[OpenAFS] Problems with fsck on Solaris 9

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:35:08 -0600

Stephen Joyce wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Douglas E. Engert wrote:
>

>>>However I'm still getting the following error:
>>>----Open AFS (R) openafs 1.2.13 fsck----
>>>** /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s3
>>>BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE
>>>USE AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION;
>>>eg. fsck [-F ufs] -o b=# [special ...]
>>>where # is the alternate super block. SEE fsck_ufs(1M).
>>
>>We have not seen this, but it sounds like you have much larger partitions.
>

> <snip...>
>
> First, thanks to Doug for the help and the patience.
> After re-installing Solaris and AFS, trying different hardware, and
> still getting the same behavior, I think I've finally got this solved.
>
> The solution was simple and I feel a bit foolish for not realizing it
> earlier: starting with Solaris 9 9/04, UFS logging is enabled by default
> on most UFS filesystems.

But either the AFS fsck should check the logging data on the partition
or at least tell you logging is not supported on a vice partition. If
fsck can't support it the file server should not allow it to be used as
a vice partition either, as the last thing you want to have is a corrupted
partition full of data and no fsck that can recover.