[OpenAFS] sysname=ppc_linux26: Problems compiling

Sergio Gelato Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:24:43 +0100

* Kevin [2004-11-20 13:10:20 -0500]:
> I'm trying to build version 1.3.74 for ppc_linux26 and having some
> problems.

Same thing but for the i386 counterpart (also Gentoo with 2.6.9).
I should be able to solve it all on my own, but your message happens
to catch me at an early stage in my effort.

> Cannot determine sys_call_table status. assuming it isn't exported

A quick look in /usr/src/linux gave me the impression (I'll double-check)
that gentoo-dev-sources does export this. Shows up as "D" in my System.map.

On x86 there is the additional, closely related problem that aclocal.m4
has explicit code to make the config_modversions test fail on Linux 2.6.
As a result, the build system sets MPS="SP MP", which may be right for
Red Hat but breaks on Gentoo.

Short-term, I'd go for patching the configure script in whatever way is
appropriate for Gentoo. But maybe upstream should decouple the setting
of MPS from the sys_call_table guesswork (and improve the heuristic for
the latter, though that's perhaps more easily said than done).

[Yes, this stuff belongs on openafs-devel, not openafs-info. In fact,
you and I ought to search the archives of the -devel list fairly soon.]

> compile_et.o(.text+0xcb2): In function `yyerror':
> :undefined reference to `yylineno'

Haven't seen that one, sorry.

> I'm trying to install this while writing a new openafs ebuild file for
> Gentoo.  The latest in Gentoo portage is for 1.2.11.  I need the 2.6
> kernel because all ppc kernel development seems to be here (vice the 2.4
> kernel).  I'm basing the new ebuild file on the one in portage for
> 1.2.11 and that ebuild seems to do one or two things wrong.  It claims
> to be replacing the head and tail calls in several files with POSIX

Comment out those lines in the ebuild file. The fix has been applied
upstream. The same goes for the pinstall execve env patch.

> Any suggestions?

1. Search the openafs-devel archives. (First results from my side:
look at the "Linux 2.6 support" thread from June 2004. And the yylineno
issue is mentioned in a "Compile pbs with 1.3.64 and 2.6" thread from
May 2004.)
2. Find other would-be ebuild authors for 1.3.74 (yours truly is one)
and coordinate work. Ask on a Gentoo mailing list?