[OpenAFS] Preferred method for turning MIT Kerberos tickets into AFS tokens in Linux

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:22:01 -0500

>I found Ken Hornstein's faq on Kerberos and OpenAFS, especially with
>regard to the integration of the two.  I implemented the integration
>using ftp://ftp.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/pub/kerberos5/afs-krb5-2.0.tar.gz
>but I recall that this part was problematic.  Looking over my notes from
>having done this and reading through this tarball, it seems that this is
>somewhat out of date.  I did manage to build aklog and asetkey for
>i386_linux24, but it was just lucky for me that it worked because the
>make pooped out after building those executables.

I wouldn't call it "luck" ... those are likely the only ones you really
need.

>I really only needed
>aklog at the time, so I wasn't troubled by the failed make, but now I'm
>adding ppc workstations to the network and so I'm thinking again about
>the integration of kerberos and afs.  I'm having the same difficulty
>with building the software in this tarball on ppc_linux26 that I had on
>i386_linux24 and even worse because I can't even get aklog to compile.

It's one of those things that I know about, but I haven't worked on it.
Mostly it's autoconf related issues (from what I recall).  The real issue
is that aklog needs some work, but I'm focusing this effort into putting
aklog into OpenAFS (I started this work last week; we'll see how it goes).

(I don't really recall that the autoconf problems were _that_ terrible,
personally; when I ran into it I just edited the generated Makefile and
fixed the few things that needed fixing).

--Ken