[OpenAFS] PTS groups

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:20:02 -0500

Matthew Cocker <matt@cs.auckland.ac.nz> writes:

> The question that has come up is do we only export the required groups
> or do we just export everything? To answer this we need to better
> understand the PTS groups limitations/features.

Just export everything.

> So far these are the questions that maybe someone can help me with (I
> can add them into afs wiki as I get answers).
>
> i) What is the maximum group id (i.e. how long before we have to reuse
> the groups ids)?

The "maximum group id" is -1.  But that's probably not really the question
you should be asking.  You can have 2^31 - 1 groups in PTS.

> ii) What is the maximum number of groups (if it is different to i) in pts?

See previous answer.

> iii) what is the theorectial maximum group membership?

I don't know if there is one.  You can set limits on the number of
members of a group.

> iv) what is the practical maximum group membership?

I think about 1000 or so?  I don't actually recall.

> v) are groups of groups possible?

I know there were patches available to make this happen.  I do not
know if they were ever merged back into the openafs mainline.

> I am sure there are questions I have not thought of yet but it is a start.
>
> Cheers
>
> Matt

-derek