[OpenAFS] PTS groups

Moose Finklestein Moose Finklestein <mizmoose@gmail.com>
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:40:27 -0500

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:48:37 +0100 (CET), Chris Huebsch
<chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:

> > "Supergroups," as I always learned from Day 1 of AFS, are pts negative
> > IDs that are created by an admin so that it and it's subgroups can be
> > manipulated by more than one person.
>
> Can you show me a group with an positive ID? I bet you can't.

Groups are negative. Users are positive.  NOW who's pedantic? :)

> > Call me pedantic, but I'd like to see we don't use the same term for
> > two different things.
>
> Perhaps you should use the term "self-owned group", as the AFS
> Administrator Guide does:
>
> http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/AdminGuide/auagd019.htm#HDRWQ547

Sherman, set the WABAC machine.   I wonder if I have my original AFS 3
"from before Transarc' documentation in my office somewhere. :-)

Ok, seriously: The problem with "self-owned group" is that it's clunky
about actual ownership. The idea of [whatever]groups is multiple
owners.  "multiple selfs" is just silly.

So what then, "multi-owned group"?  Is that better?

And as for Derrick's "I've never heard of that," That only goes
further to prove he never listens to me....