[OpenAFS] PTS groups

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:17:56 -0800

Matthew Cocker <matt@cs.auckland.ac.nz> writes:

>> I think about 1000 or so?  I don't actually recall.

> What is the cause of this limit?

> Is it replication or the admin tools?

At least historically, you can put as many people into a group as you
want, but weird things start happening if the group is too large.
Releases of replicated volumes that contain that group in ACLs start
taking a really long time, and if you ever want to delete that group, it
essentially hangs your PTS server for several minutes.

We at one point were testing groups with over 30,000 members and decided
to stop due to those problems, but that was back in the days of Transarc.