[OpenAFS] need information

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 21:30:45 +0200

On Oct 5, 2004, at 8:22 PM, Daniel Ch=E9nard wrote:

> I want to replicate a file server on another server and re-export my
> files by nfs or samba because I need than other servers can use the
> file.
>
> I have a site A and a site B.  Some server are connected on the file
> serveurA on site A by nfs.  All file create and modified on the site A
> must be replicate on site B in real time.

I have no idea what you mean by realtime but AFS has a "sync on close"=20=

philosophy.
You can't use the AFS "replication" for this since that's designed for=20=

"replication on request" and failover if one of your fileservers isn't=20=

there any more.

> So, Do OpenAFS is a good choice for that?

If you make both "sites" an AFS client and "export" the same data on=20
both sites in your "desired fashion", yes.
Remember, you don't have an export in AFS.
Your data is on your fileserver but not readable by anything else, only=20=

your AFS clients. That's a BIG difference to NFS. You can't "export" a=20=

directory like in NFS. (Of course, you can simulate that by installing=20=

an AFS client on your fileserver and using the AFS tree there, too.)

The NFS export works only on AIX and maybe Solaris, AFAIK.
I had an userspace NFS Server working on Linux, too, but I had to do=20
some modifications (disable the major number check) in the export code.

If you can live with all the apparent drawbacks, which are such only at=20=

first glance, you might be able to use AFS.

Horst=