Re[2]: [OpenAFS] drive mappings with the windows xp client

Ron Croonenberg ronc@depauw.edu
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:18:52 EST

Hi Jeffrey,

this is what I did.

C:\>net use q: \\AFS\afs-2.csc.depauw.edu\home\cowboy
The command completed successfully.

after this I can use that Q drive like expected.  it is in AFS space etc etc.
files can be opened/created/modified with explorer etc.

thanks,

Ron

>the afs drivemap library pretty much passes requests onto the WNet APIs
>for performing drive mapping.  What I would accept as a statement is
>that the Explorer Shell uses the APIs differently from how the AFS drive
>mapping API does it.
>
>I would be interested in knowing if you are able to successfully use the
>drives when mapped via "NET USE".
>

>Ron Croonenberg wrote:
>
>> When I create a drive mapping with the Windows client the drive mapping
doesn't
>> seem to be correct (for some reason I end up with a partition being "RAW
>> instead of it being in AFS space and I don't have access to the volume at
all.)

>> However,  when I "Map Network drive" (menu option when right clicking on "My
>> Computer" or "My Network Places") everything seems to be working as it is
>> supposed to.  (I use a "folder"  like
\\AFS\afs-2.csc.depauw.edu\home\cowboy
>> when doing the drive mapping)
>>
>> Can I assume that the only thing that is "going wrong" is that the XP AFS
client
>> somehow doesn't do the drive mapping correctly ?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Ron

1879:
     Thomas Edison gets an idea, and his brother Timmy says,
     "Hey, what's that thing over your head?
 Ron Croonenberg               | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
 Technology Coordinator        | Fax:   1 765 658 4732

 Department of ComputerScience | e-mail : ronc@DePauw.edu
 DePauw University             |
 Julian Science & Math Center  |
 602 South College Ave.        |