[OpenAFS] Inquiry: Backing up OpenAFS with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM)

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:23:38 -0500

Christopher Odenbach wrote:

> at the University of Paderborn we are using OpenAFS on linux servers
> and Tivoli on a Solaris Box. We would like to backup our AFS space
> with tivoli, but unfortunately up to now IBM has only released an IBM
> AFS client for IBM AIX.
>
> I am actually in contact with IBM and have asked whether it would be
> possible to release a client for OpenAFS (on linux or solaris). As
> this does not seem to be too easy IBM wants to know if anybody else
> would be interested in such a connector.
>
> So I simply ask the question: Would anyone else be interested in an
> OpenAFS connector for Tivoli?

YES!!

> How do other people manage their backups?

We currently have an AIX 5.1 box (a J40) running the Tivoli client.  The
ability to run the client directly on Linux and Solaris machines would
be a huge help.

<<CDC
Christopher D. Clausen
ACM@UIUC SysAdmin