[OpenAFS] submounts w/ 1.3.710

Charles McIntyre mcintyre@ucsc.edu
Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:05:59 -0700

In the innocent world before SP2, we used OpenAFS 1.2.10 on all our lab=20
PCs.  When a user logged in, a script would run, awk the campus passwd=20
file, find their home directory and write out a new afsdsbmt.ini=20
file.  When the user wanted to mount their AFS home directory, a script=20
would just mount \\%computername%-afs\home and all was good in the world.

Now since the afsdsbmt.ini file was declared evil with later releases of=20
OpenAFS, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on dealing with multi-user=20
lab computers?  We have registry editing turned off for our lab users and=20
I'm not keen on changing that.  There might be some kind of tricky "run as"=
=20
solution, but I haven't explored that (yet...)

In the Wiki documentation, it says that some of the afsdsbmt.ini file is=20
now written into the CellServDB file.  Is that correct?  If so, is there a=
=20
way for AFS to look there for submount information?

Does anyone know any other way of specifying submount information besides=20
using the registry?  Or, does anyone have any other solution for changing=20
the specific path for the home submount?

Thanks in advance!

Charles

=BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4=F8=A4=BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4=F8=F8=A4=BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4=F8=A4=BA=B0`=
=B0=BA=A4=F8=F8=A4=BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4

Charles McIntyre
PC/UNIX Systems Engineer
Instructional Computing, UCSC