[OpenAFS] FS exited on signal 6

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:11:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Matthew Cocker wrote:

>> You should look in the FileLog and see why.
>>

> There appears to be nothing that is not in the Filelog of a server that is
> running normally.

Even the first line? Put the file somewhere? (FileLog.old obviously)

How about a core? backtrace?

> We get these non-crashes which stop all users on a server accessing their afs
> volumes. Shutting down the server (sometimes requires hardware reset) and
> salvaging fixes the the problem.

you may have encountered a problem i will have a fix for shortly. Maybe
not. you haven't told me enough to let me know.

> The real question is how can we avoid the unscheduled outages?

by having a version of code with no bugs, probably.

> And why is a signal 6 entry in boslog followed by automatic salvage and
> restart of the FS, nearly always followed within 24 hours with another total
> lock up where as manually started salvages seem to keep things happier for
> longer?

luck? really, with the information you gave me, i can give you answers
from a magic 8 ball and they'll be about as likely to be accurate as ones
i could guess. you told me very little, and you're asking for a lot of
answer