[OpenAFS] Inquiry: Backing up OpenAFS with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM)

Tony D'Amato tdamato@odu.edu
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:09:36 -0400

> From: Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>
> Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:09:36 -0700
>
> Hans-Gunther Borrmann <hans-gunther.borrmann@rz.uni-freiburg.de> writes:
> > On Thursday 07 October 2004 11:06, Christopher Odenbach wrote:
>
> >> So I simply ask the question: Would anyone else be interested in an
> >> OpenAFS connector for Tivoli?
>
> > Definitely YES.
>
> Yes, absolutely.

I'll vote YES on that one as well. We're currently using IBM's TSM to
backup our AFS cell (the dsmcafs command). Unfortunately, we've got to
do it on AIX as it's the only platform where the backup client works.

> >> How do other people manage their backups?
>
> > Our servers run still under AIX and I use butc and TSM 5.2
>
> Likewise here.  We run OpenAFS on the backup servers already, but they
> unfortunately still have to be running AIX right now.  It would be nice to
> have an option on that dependency down the road.

Agreed.
--
Tony.

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent
that will reach to himself. --Thomas Paine