[OpenAFS] Status on 2.6 Kernel?

e r0ck erict@alum.rpi.edu
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:47:55 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_11FB5_01C4B040.8CAA19D0

looks like you are replying to two different messages.
(i don't have the no space left message, that was someone else. i can't
get the kernel modules to load)

but anyway...
i built using the confiure with kernel headers paths to both places.

i get the same result:
build completes and installs successfully,
the kernel modules will not load.

i'm building a kernel module for arla as i type and i'll see if that
works.

<-----Original Message----->On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 07:55:15AM -0700, e
r0ck wrote:
> no change. but why would there be? the kernel headers in there are the
> same as in /usr/src/linux.
>
>The 2.6 kernel has a completely different build system from the 2.4
>kernel. All the build magic that you need to build third party kernel
>modules for your running kernel are to be found in
>
> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
>
>/usr/src/linux is the directory that contains the actual source code
for
>your kernel. Very different. However, if your running kernel was
>compiled in /usr/src/linux then all the build stuff will have been
>created there as well.
>

>> i'm gonna try to get arla to work.
>
>Arla is much more stable than my patches. Although, I do not understand
>why you would be getting no space left on device with my patches and
>normal behavior without. I'd have to poke a bit more at it.
>
>Jack Neely
>
>--
>Jack Neely
>Realm Linux Administration and Development
>PAMS Computer Operations at NC State University
>GPG Fingerprint: 1917 5AC1 E828 9337 7AA4 EA6B 213B 765F 3B6A 5B89
>.

------=_NextPart_000_11FB5_01C4B040.8CAA19D0

<HTML>
<BODY>
looks like you are replying to two different messages.<br>
(i don't have the no space left message, that was someone else. i can't get the kernel modules to load)<br>
but anyway...<br>
i built using the confiure with kernel headers paths to both places.<br>
i get the same result: <br>
build completes and installs successfully, <br>
the kernel modules will not load.<br>
i'm building a kernel module for arla as i type and i'll see if that works.<br>
<-----Original Message----->On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 07:55:15AM -0700, e r0ck wrote:<br>
> no change. but why would there be? the kernel headers in there are the<br>
> same as in /usr/src/linux.<br>
>The 2.6 kernel has a completely different build system from the 2.4<br>
>kernel.  All the build magic that you need to build third party kernel<br>
>modules for your running kernel are to be found in <br>
>   /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build<br>
>/usr/src/linux is the directory that contains the actual source code for<br>
>your kernel.  Very different.  However, if your running kernel was<br>
>compiled in /usr/src/linux then all the build stuff will have been<br>
>created there as well.<br>
>> i'm gonna try to get arla to work. <br>
>Arla is much more stable than my patches.  Although, I do not understand<br>
>why you would be getting no space left on device with my patches and<br>
>normal behavior without.  I'd have to poke a bit more at it.<br>
>Jack Neely<br>
>-- <br>
>Jack Neely <slack@quackmaster.net><br>
>Realm Linux Administration and Development<br>
>PAMS Computer Operations at NC State University<br>
>GPG Fingerprint: 1917 5AC1 E828 9337 7AA4  EA6B 213B 765F 3B6A 5B89<br>
>.
</BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_11FB5_01C4B040.8CAA19D0--