[OpenAFS] Question about RO/RW Volumes...

Frank Burkhardt fbo2@gmx.net
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:03:36 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 10:41:35AM +0200, Lars Schimmer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Just a question about RO/RW copies.
> We have set up 3 volumes for every user (home, work, ftp) and few others
> with CVS, svn, data,...
> For easy backup we've made RO copies of nearly all volumes.
> But now, with 2 database servern and all the RO copies, we run into a
> problem not thought about before.
> With the 2nd database server in the cellservdb, most machine use the RO
> copies of the volumes. With some volumes (archive, cdonline) that's OK
> for working (but hey, these data isn't really small to hold a RO copy),
> but with CVS, svn or home dirs, a RO copy-mount isn't really nice.
> How can we be sure, to have RW Access to these volumes?
> It would be nice, if OpenAFS would loadbalance the read to all the RW &
> RO volumes, but write only to the RW volume and than automaticly release
> this volume...
> The only dirty solution I found is to mount the root.cell volume RW as
> /afs/.url.to.domain to have guranteed RW access to the volumes.

Are you *really* sure, the mountpoints to these volumes (home, work, ftp)
are correct?

Try this:

 $ fs lsm /afs/path/to/home
 '/afs/path/to/home' is a mount point for volume '%home'

The '%' is important.

Another possible mistake is to have a difference between
RO and RW of the volume containing '/afs/path/to' (=the
volume containing the mountpoint to 'home'). Maybe you
changed the mountpoint for 'home' but you didn't release
the containing volume.

HTH.

Regards,

Frank