[OpenAFS] kaserver, klog, /afs permission issues

Mike Branda mike@wackyworld.tv
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:37:38 -0400

Hello!!

I've been at this for a few days trying to get the simplest form of
server up to start with.  The attempted configuration is 1 box running
SuSE 9.1 Pro with 2.6.5-7.104-default with both client and server
functions.  SuSE comes with 3 RPM packages that of course put the
binaries and etc files in the typical wacko places.  Following the SuSE
Readme leads to a shutdown bos status of ka,bu,vl and pt server
processes due to too many errors.  Why they let a broken package go is
beyond me.  The steps leading to starting the bosserver and these
processes are the same for the openAFS source and the mod SuSE set but
the progress stops at the broken processes.  Next step was to compile
the source (openafs-1.3.73) with transarc paths and get it to work via
pure openAFS instructions.  I got a healthy bosserver and server
processes this time but klog returns "Unable to authenticate to AFS
because AuthServer returned incorrect response." when running the built
in kaserver.  I tried going the route of Heimdal Kerberos via pam and
disabling the internal AFS kaserver, but klog then after pressing enter
just sits at a blank line indefinately.  I can continue on and start
afsd and mount the /afs partition but obviously it doesn't grant access
due to improper authentication issues / no tokens.  Anybody know what's
going on??  I'm starting to chase my tail twice over with kerberos and
it's getting confusing.

thanks for any help in advance!!

Mike