[OpenAFS] Pro's & Con's of /usr/local on AFS....

Joshua Johnson joshua.johnson@ftlsys.com
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:43:23 -0500

All,

	I apologize in advance if this is an answered FAQ and I just can't find
the reference to it.

I thought I saw a negative comment on one of these lists about putting
/usr/local on AFS.  If memory serves, the message had a tone that there
were better ways of dealing with a common /usr/local tree (package tools,
updating per machine, etc. etc.) and that /usr/local in AFS was a
deprecated practice.

So, at the risk of starting something here, I am going to ask what other
peoples experiences are with placing /usr/local in AFS and sharing among
machines of same @sys type (much like the AdminGuide suggests).

I don't want to create too large of a thread so if this has been discussed,
and there are pointers to studies/whitepapers/etc., please feel free to
post/send links to me.

Thanks in Advance,

Joshua