[OpenAFS] Pro's & Con's of /usr/local on AFS....

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:30:34 -0400

  So, at the risk of starting something here, I am going to ask what other
  peoples experiences are with placing /usr/local in AFS and sharing among
  machines of same @sys type (much like the AdminGuide suggests).

We've always run that way.  The biggest problem, at least on OpenBSD, is
that ports and packages like to install into /usr/local (that's good) but
then keep some important info about the installation in /var/db (that's
bad).  We deal with this manually but you really should fix the ports and
packages.

Other minor problems include apps that install into /usr/local but keep
little pieces elsewhere (/etc/gimp).  And sometimes you'll find machine
dependent stuff installed into /usr/local.

So it's possible, and it's certainly more convenient than keeping a separate
/usr/local on each machine.  But you will run into irritating problems.