[OpenAFS] Pro's & Con's of /usr/local on AFS....

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:05:27 -0400

Jim Rees wrote:
>   '/afs/isis' is a symbolic link, leading to a mount point for
>   volume 'root.cell'.
>
> So you broke one of the most important features of afs, the global name
> space.  Why?

'Cause we're stupid? 'Cause I didn't want to make an already too long
message even longer?

Actually, we thought it was convenient at first, and it's come back to
bite us repeatedly. We try very hard to make all the references in
packages spell the cell name out -- isis.unc.edu -- and I think we've
got it that way almost everywhere. It's convenient not to type
".unc.edu" a couple hundred times a day. Whether it's worth it is an
open question. (BTW, '/afs/isis.unc.edu' is also a mount point for
volume 'root.cell'.)
   / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-962-5273  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
  /      A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.     /