[OpenAFS] Pro's & Con's of /usr/local on AFS....

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:17:53 -0400

On Wednesday, October 27, 2004 12:37:52 -0400 Derrick J Brashear
<shadow@dementia.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu> writes:
>>
>>>   3. (Optional) Create a symbolic link to a shortened cell name, to
>>>   reduce the length of pathnames for users in the local cell. For
>>>   example, in the abc.com cell, /afs/abc is a link to /afs/abc.com.
>>>
>>> That really needs to be removed from the documentation.
>>
>> Why?  It's extremely useful.  I like using /afs/athena, /afs/dev,
>> /afs/sipb
>
> Which cell is /afs/cs?

Mine, obviously.  :-)
But that doesn't make tab-completion work for me.

Seriously, having short-name aliases in /afs is convenient for typing
commands interactively, but such names should _never_ be used in any kind
of reference that is expected to be portable.  Don't use them in scripts,
or programs, or symlinks, or email messages, or IM, or anyplace else where
they might be used other than on your workstation the way it looks right
now.  Otherwise you _will_ regret it later.

-- Jeff