[OpenAFS] Commercial use of OpenAFS ?

Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:53:01 -0400

>>>>> "Derek" == Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> writes:

Derek> There are some companies in New York that would claim
Derek> emphatically "yes, it's stable enough".

Well, one of those companies will say so, but with a few important
caveats.

Morgan Stanley's use of AFs does NOT include such large volumes, and
in fact, we are deprecating the use of AFS for RW data on large scale,
and encourging users to use NFS/SAN solutions instead.

OpenAFS has proven to be VERY stable for us, but we primarily care
about RO replication, and not RW data.

We also have an environment with lots of clients, all accessing mostly
RO data, so the kinds of poblems you will see will be very different
from those we have seen.

"EC" <wingman@waika9.com> writes:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Newbie to OpenAFS question : Is Linux OpenAFS stable enough to use for a
>> commercial use inside a heavy traffic, very large volumes (>1TB), small and
>> big files, system. Configuration would probably be of kind "more servers
>> than clients".
>>
>> EC.

Derek> --
Derek> Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
Derek> Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
Derek> URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
Derek> warlord@MIT.EDU                        PGP key available
Derek> OpenAFS-info mailing list
Derek> OpenAFS-info@openafs.org