[OpenAFS] need help tuning openafs

Wes Chow wes@woahnelly.net
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:04:51 -0400

> >>Is the subsequent scanning what afs_cachetrim does?  The second time
> >>it boots, afsd only takes a few minutes to start so it's not so bad.
> >>What's really killing me is the fact that afs_cachetrim hasn't
> >>finished yet and is hogging so much CPU.
>
> subsequent boots are not subsequent scanning. subsequent boots are boots
> after the one where you created the cache from scratch.
>
> >>Is the time it takes to finish proportional to the number of chunks?
> >>I've even tried chunk sizes of 2^30, but that doesn't seem to make
> >>much difference...
>
> afsd startup should take time proportional to the number of files it has
> to play with (create or stat) on the way up. bigger chunksize equals fewer
> files for a cache of the same size (unless you override the number of
> cache files by afsd switch)

Okay, the second time it boots, afs finishes after a few minutes.  But
what does afs_cachetrim do?  I'm looking through the code, but since I
don't have a great familiarity with it, I can't quite tell... looks
like it's related to when the cache becomes too full, however this is
a completely empty cache I'm dealing with.

Wes

--
http://www.woahnelly.net/~wes/          OpenPGP key = 0xA5CA6644
fingerprint = FDE5 21D8 9D8B 386F 128F  DF52 3F52 D582 A5CA 6644