[OpenAFS] clarification on client caches

Wes Chow wes@woahnelly.net
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 18:16:35 -0400

> >Things work fine.  If I then run "fs setcachesize 30000000", accesses
> >to /afs then proceed to hang.  I can change the cache size to about
> >25000000 and it still behaves properly.  The partition the cache is on
> >is 60 gigs, so it's not running out of space.  Any ideas as to why
> >it's hanging?
>
> This is basically the same question you asked before, right? I still have
> no idea. Why not start with the cache size you want?

The symptoms are different.

Case 1: If I start with the cache size I want and "-chunksize 20" as
the only afsd option, after afsd finishes creation of the cache,
afs_cachetrim then proceeds to use up most of the CPU in what appears
to be an infinite loop.  I've let it run for about 4 hours and it
never stopped.  Accesses to /afs work, but the computer is
understandably slow.

Case 2: What I'm doing now is limiting the number of V files by using
the "-files 50000" option.  If I start it out at the cache size I want
(30 gigs), accesses to /afs hang without afs_cachetrim running amok.
However, if I lower the cache size it seems to work.  Starting at a
lower cache size and resizing upwards doesn't seem to help.

Is it not typical to have cache sizes of this size?

Thanks for your very prompt responses!

Wes

--
http://www.woahnelly.net/~wes/          OpenPGP key = 0xA5CA6644
fingerprint = FDE5 21D8 9D8B 386F 128F  DF52 3F52 D582 A5CA 6644