[OpenAFS] clarification on client caches

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:54:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wes Chow <wes@woahnelly.net> writes:
>
>> base:/lib/modules/2.4.27-afs64/fs# depmod -a -e
>> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.27-afs64/fs/openafs.mp.o
>> depmod:         __divdi3
>>
>> Any clue how I might be able to resolve this?
>
> This means the code is doing floating-point math (in particular
> division).  This is bad, and means there's a bug in the source code.

switching from 32 to 64 bit *integers* caused it, so if the compiler chose
to implement it using floats, well, i blame the compiler. but given the
existance of do_div() i assume whoever knew this and thus provided a
portable mechanism for doing division in the face of being (most likely)
unable to provide true 64 bit ints on all platforms.

> Why would it need to be conditional on AFS_64BIT_ENV?  Linux supports
> the "long long" 64-bit integer type natively in the 32bit OS just fine.

so why can't i divide them? ;-)