[OpenAFS] application error message with Windows XP

Alan Wehmann wehmann@fnal.gov
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:21:51 -0500 (CDT)

The problem turned out to be non-existant "IBM\AFS\etc." directories
in the PATH environmental variable on my laptop.  When I removed them
and restarted the computer, the OpenAFS 1.3.71 client worked.

I don't know how those PATH entries got there.  Perhaps the installer
for the earlier version of the client (1.3.64) put them there?

Below is the exchange that prompted this action.

<>This area didn't exist on my laptop.  I edited the PATH variable and
<>removed the entries with "\IBM\AFS\" in them.  After that, I restarted
<>the computer and the OpenAFS client 1.3.71 worked!
<>
<>Please thank the expert for suggesting this approach--even although it
<>was indirect.
<>
<>> Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:03:11 -0500 (CDT)
<>> From: HelpDesk <AREmail@fnal.gov>
<>>
<>> The expert has added the following information to your request.
<>> Please review carefully as additional information may be requested.
<>>
<>> To add additional information, visit http://helpdesk.fnal.gov
<>>
<>> ___________________________________________________________________
<>>
<>> Note To Requester: Hi Alan,
<>>
<>> From your init log, it looks like the following is in your PATH:
<>>
<>> C:\PROGRA~1\IBM\AFS\Client\Program
<>>
<>> Does this area exist?  If so, can you rename the "IBM" folder
<>> and see if the problem may be that the wrong execs are getting called?

--
Alan Wehmann
wehmann@fnal.gov