[OpenAFS] Is /vicepa really mandatory on afs clients?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:54:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Craig Cook wrote:

> In the IBM docs for creating a client it contains this:
>

> Create a directory called /vicepxx for each AFS server partition you are configuring (there must be at least one). Repeat the command for each partition.
>
>   # mkdir /vicepxx
>

> Does there really need to be at least one /vicepa partition?  I am
> looking to setup an afs client only...  If each afs server has /vicepa
> shared, it would imply every afs box has to share some of its disk
> space.

if you're looking to set up a client, the server instructions don't
matter.

if you want to set up a database server only, just don't create the
fileserver bnode (or /vicepa)

> Is there a minimum size /vicepa must be?  Can I make it 50 meg and everything still work?

there's a machine at mit (well, maybe still) which had a vice partition on
a floppy.