[OpenAFS] 1.2.13 vs. 1.3.81

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:27:47 -0400

On Thursday, April 07, 2005 03:44:14 AM -0400 Marcus Watts <mdw@umich.edu>
wrote:

> We currently run 1.2.13 in production on the fileservers for the
> umich.edu cell, but have now run up against two problems related to
> callback logic of varying severity, which turn out to have fixes in
> recent 1.3.x.  Our production staff is highly allergic to the idea of
> running anything that has the description "unstable", like "unstable
> development branch"; but I'm beginning to think that this is way
> preferable to trying to backport fixes out of recent 1.3 to the 1.2
> branch.
>
> As it happens, we're having a meeting in less than 12 hours to discuss
> all this, so I'm highly curious how people feel on this list: is
> 1.3.80/81 more stable than 1.2.13?  What do people actually run in
> production?  Is there in fact any more work planned for the 1.2
> branch?  Do you have any particular words of advice for our production
> staff if they should be keen on continuing with 1.2.13 despite the
> problems we've had?  Any thoughts on 1.3.80 vs. 1.3.81 vs. whatever?
> (This will all be on linux / x86 hardware.)

I'm not running 1.3.x servers in production, but I _am_ running 1.2.13 with
callbacks-later, which should make your hanging-volserver problems go away.
We've been running a variant of that code for over a year, except for a
brief period shortly after 1.2.13 was released, when we decided to upgrade
without waiting for the cblater backport because we felt that eliminating
fileserver crashes caused by broken Windows clients was more important than
good volserver behaviour.

You're welcome to the patch if you think it will help...

-- Jeff