[OpenAFS] XP embedded

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:39:21 -0400

At 03:48 PM 4/7/2005, you wrote:
>Christian Ospelkaus wrote:
> > can anybody on this list comment on whether or not the current windows
> client
> > will run on XP embedded (R&S FSP spectrum analyzer) ? Best regards,
>
>XP Embedded is a component based operating system.  Assuming you have all
>of the necessary components installed, then I would expect it to run.  I
>do not know what all of the necessary components would be.  I have never
>used XP Embedded.

We have converted and use Microsoft Windows PE, instead of DOS to build our
Windows XP workstations.  I have been interested in trying to install the
OpenAFS Windows client into PE.  However there are a few difficulties that
are immediately apparent.  First, there appears to be no SYSTEM registry,
so you can't install your own services.  This makes sense because Microsoft
doesn't want PE to "get out" and become a small operating system of its
own.  The second problem is installing OpenAFS.  You can't use any
installer under Windows PE, everything would need to be hand
installed.  And finally, there can be no "live" caches under PE, so the
AFSCache file is out.  I haven't had time to look any further, but it
really would be cool to mount AFS under PE for network builds.

Rodney