[OpenAFS] RE: 1.3.81 insmod

Ken Aaker kenaaker@silverbacksystems.com
Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:24:59 -0500

>If  CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL is undefed, include .ted or something to the
>-version- info in /usr/src/linux/Makefile
>
>make bzImage;make modules;make modules_install;make install;
>
>Hack /boot/grub/menu/lst and insert the new *.ted kernel, etc..
>
>Reboot
>
>Make openafs 1.3.181 over again starting with ./configure
>-switches-you-want;make; make install again
>
>Then test with: insmod ./libafs-new-version-.ko #works with no errors now.
>
>Then: cp /usr/vice/etc/libafs-new-version-.ko
>/lib/modules/-new-version-/kernel/fs/afs;
>
>#may have to mkdir /lib/modules/-version-/kernel/fs/afs first..
>
>Run: depmod in /lib/modules/-version-
>
>Test with: modprobe libafs; lsmod|g afs; rmmod libafs;
>
>/etc/init.d/afs-client start #now works....
>
>It would be nice not to have to rebuild the SuSE kernels if possible. SuSe
>9.3 is on order....

That was what I avoided when I said that I "cheated". I just removed the
define for CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL in include/linux/autoconf.h. And I didn't
build a new kernel. Basically I think somebody screwed up with that
change to include/linux/fs.h. It shouldn't be referencing GPLONLY
symbols in an include that isn't GPLONLY itself. It was a gamble, but it
seemed likely to work, and it does for me, on about a half-dozen machines.

Ken