[OpenAFS] Newbie

Simon Lyngshede simon@s-et.aau.dk
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 00:45:09 +0200

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:15:13PM +0100, ed wrote:
> Hello,
>
> OpenAFS seems rather tricky, but I'm determined to get it operating
> locally.
>
> OpenBSD seems to come with a OpenAFS client, by Arla, but is there a
> server on this platform?

Yes and no, OpenBSD do ship the source code for the Arla server
(milko), but not a precompiled working version of Milko. Also you
should note that Milko is not tested to the same extend as the OpenAFS
server, also I believe it lacks a lot of features. There is SOME
documentation on Milko on the Arla webpage, but it is rather limitted
(www.stacken.kth.se/projekt/arla/).

You would most likely have greater success with the OpenAFS server,
but if you insist on Milko, you should ask on the arla-drinkers
mailinglist.  As a client OpenBSD is great because AFS just works, a
big selling point for me at least.

> Why does Linux kernel 2.6 have a readonly AFS client?

Ask the Linux developers. The AFS client in the kernel is made by
RedHat (i think), it is not OpenAFS. I don't think the Linux kernel
developers like the OpenAFS licens that much, the IBM Public License
don't mix that well with the GPL. To bad really, it would be great to
have a usable AFS in the kernel.

--
Simon
Pain is sweetness leaving the body.