[OpenAFS] Speed tests on our AFS Cell

Matt Elliott melliott@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:25:40 -0500

On Apr 13, 2005, at 6:53 AM, Lars Schimmer wrote:
> Another question I've got is about cache-size:
> I read somewhere to set cache size to roughly 1 GB on disk cache. Is
> it a real
> nice one to set such a big cache at normal work or is it more like a
> showstopper
> and 50-100 MB Cache is better?

My experience is that you want your client cache to be at least as
large as the largest files you are using.  Performance on files that
won't fit entirely in the cache is terrible.  I use a 2GB cache on my
system since my fileservers currently have a 2GB file size limit.

Matt Elliott			Production Systems Infrastructure
217-265-0257			<mailto:melliott@ncsa.uiuc.edu>