[OpenAFS] Problem with openafs-1.3.81 on kernel 2.6.11.7

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:34:09 -0400

In message <20050414080452.GA709@afs.mcc.ac.uk>,Dr A V Le Blanc writes:
>with kernel 2.6.11.7, and this time the machine is still accessible,

smp?

>     (5)Input/output error: access to [some file] failed
>     [notice] child pid 4601 exit signal Bus error (7)

i dont believe these are from afs.

>     kernel: afs: failed to store file (partition full)
>     AFS_VMA_CLOSE(8072): Skipping Already locked vcp=de257f38 vmap=de257f48

seems like bad news.

>For some reason the cache is filling far beyond the configured
>limit.  'fs getca' ought to be seeing this and isn't.  For some
>reason the cache is not being cleared, even after hours of
>inactivity.  I'm a little puzzled by the numbers as well;
>on a 2.4.30 machine with openafs 1.2.13-1, I get this:
>
>     # df /var/cache/openafs
>     Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>     /dev/hda6               489992    279729    184963  61% /var/cache/openaf
>     # du -s /var/cache/openafs
>     279729  /var/cache/openafs
>
>but on the 2.6.11.7 system I see this:
>
>     # df /var/cache/openafs
>     Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>     /dev/sda6               521748    521748         0 100% /var/cache/openaf
>     # du -s /var/cache/openafs
>     832908  /var/cache/openafs
>
>which suggest file system corruption.   I did not remkfs the partition
>before rebooting; perhaps I should try this?

well it would be a good idea to mkfs the filesystem before you start
2.6/1.3.81 again just to make sure there are not residual bits.  however,
i would guess that looks like truncate's arent happening in a timely
fashion.  i believe someone else on the list has seen this behavior as
well and might have a patch to make truncate() synchronize.

just curious, is there any chance you could try a memcache?  you wouldnt
need a very big one.