[OpenAFS] Debian install problem: ptserver won't start

Scott Fritzinger scottf@unr.edu
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:17:07 -0700

Lars (and others who have responded),

I was using Debian stable, which was, as mentioned, using the 1.2.3
release. I removed all of 1.2.3 and tried the Debian testing branch
(which uses 1.3.18). I ran into a problem with bosserver not finding the
"<default>" cell when it is being shut down. afs-newcell had problems
because of this it seems.

So, I removed it all, added the openafs.org reposity to my sources lists
and installed 1.2.13, which appears to have worked with exception of the
kernel modules. I'm currently running 2.6.7 and the
openafs-modules-source won't compile because of the changes to
sys_call_table apparently in the new kernel.

I am moving back down to 2.4.27 (something I've been meaning to do for a
while. Can you tell this is the experimental server? :-) and will try
again. I'll write in to give a status update when 2.4.27 is installed
and the modules are loaded.

Thanks to everyone for replying and providing feedback.

-Scott