[OpenAFS] MS Access and OpenAFS

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:20:23 -0400

At 05:07 PM 4/20/2005, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>Gabe Castillo wrote:
>
> > Has anyone used an MS Access database from within OpenAFS? Does it work
> > with multiple users? I'd heard some talk about AFS not supporting
> > byte-range locking, and wasn't sure how MS Access fit into this.
>
>You do not want to execute database applications out of AFS.  AFS does
>not support byte range locks.  MS Access requires byte range locks to
>protect records during modification.

At our site, Access databases are either personal, or shared.  Personal
databases are put into the users AFS directory, while all shared databases
requiring record locking are on an auxiliary common AD domain share.  This
is the standard way to handle things in a Windows plus AFS environment.

Rodney