[OpenAFS] openafs fileservers in VMware ESX

Dj Merrill deej@thayer.dartmouth.edu
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:21:38 -0400

Matthew Cocker wrote:
> Please don't mention Dell servers around me. For the last three years we
> have had dell servers with attached storage. It has been a nightmare
> from day one. First we had to have all the scsi disks (100 of them)
> replaced becasue they were incompatible with the Dell backplanes (disks
> were supplied by Dell), then we have had major issues with the Dell raid
> cards not detecting dead raid disks, not rebuilding from a single dead
> disk, the dell powervaults just turning themselves off etc.

	Wow, your experience is opposite mine.  I swear
by Dell servers, and have used nothing but in the past
7 years or so.  No major problems at all, and over that
time we have only lost one drive in a RAID system, and it
rebuilt just fine.  We cycle out the critical servers every 3-4 years,
but we have some of the older servers doing non-critical things, and
they are still going strong.  Strange that we are having
such opposite experiences.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill